Thursday, December 13, 2007

Day 13 Get out and do Informational Interviews

I like to stay in my comfort zone. It was real tempting for me to write cover letters and email them with my resume to job postings. It worked for me in the past, why not now?

The problem with sending out resumes to companies and organizations was that it was not producing hits. Hardly anyone was calling or writing back to me. My old tried and true method of job hunting wasn't working. Increasing the number of resumes I sent out each week didn't make much difference either. Job search articles and career counselors were saying that today job seekers need to get out and do informational interviews. It is not just a matter of what you know but who you know.

My old strategy wasn't working I had to switch to a new strategy and rely on informational interviews. Informational interviews get you in front of people, people who are in industries you are interested in, people who are networked with others in companies you hope to get hired by.

Hiring managers like to hire people they know or hire people that have been referred to them by people they know and trust. Informational interviews is a way for people to get to know you. Think about it. When you need a car mechanic or a hair stylist, what do you do? You ask a few friends who they recommend. Or you ask them if they know anything about the person or company you are considering. How much better to be a known quantity then to be a stranger when your name comes up for consideration for a position.

Informational interviews work but they take time. They help you build a network of relationships that can help you get a job in an industry or company you want to get into.

I will have more to say about informational interviews in the days ahead.


No comments: