Thursday, December 13, 2007

Day 14 Use informational interviews to build your network

I enjoy meeting people, getting to know them, finding common interests and developing a relationship with them. I have also made many friends over the years through my work and involvement in professional events. I enjoy cultivating friendships with professional colleagues. Over the years I had developed a network of friends through both social and professional contacts.

When I first began doing informational interviews as part of my job search it didn't occur to me to use the opportunity to build and strengthen my professional network. Vocational counselors and articles stressed the value of obtaining information through informational interviews. I tended to approach informational interviews as one time opportunities to meet people and gather information. I did not view them at first as a great way to develop my professional network.

If I had it to do over again, I would approach job interviews as an opportunity to network and build ongoing relationships rather than as isolated fact gathering appointments.

There are several benefits to approaching informational interviews as an opportunity to connect and maintain ongoing relationships.

  1. You build friendships and acquaintances in the industry you want to work in. Think about it. When the day comes that you get hired there is a likelihood you will cross paths with the people you are interviewing with today.
  2. You may make new friends who share common interests and passions. If you don't like the majority of people you meet while doing informational interviews, maybe this is not the industry you should be going into.
  3. It is easier to call or go back to a person you have interviewed with earlier if you have begun to build a relationship with him or her. I had several occasions to write or call back to people I interviewed with earlier. Our initial meeting opened the door for future contacts.
  4. Friends introduce new friends to old friends. It was through friendships that grew out of interviews that led to me being introduced to others in the same field.
  5. Networking while you are doing informational interviews enlists others in helping you look for work. Friends like to help friends find work. If you develop genuine friendships with fellow professionals, you name and face is likely to come to mind when someone asks them "Know anybody you can recommend for this opening we've got coming up?"

Don't do informational interviews in isolation. View them as an opportunity to make new acquaintances and develop your social network.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Great way to record your experiences Gary! I've added this to my bookmarks.